The Leadership Journey is one of the many courses offered through The ELI Lab at The Woods Academy this summer. The program prepares students to serve others with humility, virtue, intellectual rigor, and a bias towards action.
Our community is committed to serving others.
Our students believe that none of us are educated and cared for unless all of us are.
Components of our outreach include:
- Financial and spiritual support to our sister school -- Hotcourses Primary School in Nyumbani Village in Kitui, Kenya in Africa. This school serves children whose parents have died from the AIDS virus.
- Our Lower School students collect items for area charities most often tied into their "hosting" a Mass.
- Each Upper School grade partners with an area charity that it supports over a four-year period. These students raise money, hold clothing drives, and, most significantly, have direct contact with the clients these charities serve. Our adopted charities include Bethesda Cares, A Wider Circle, Saint Ann's Center for Children, Youth, and Families, and Catholic Charities.
- A student-led service and philanthropy club which raises money for various causes.
- School-wide "tag days" in which the student body pays for the privilege of "dressing down" for the benefit a charitable cause.
On Tuesday, May 30th, six students from fifth through seventh grades were honored for putting others before themselves. These students were selected by their peers to receive The Woods Academy Good Samaritan Award.