At a Glance
The school originally opened over a half century ago as Ursuline Academy. In 1975, a group of dedicated parents re-established it as Our Lady of the Woods Academy and subsequently The Woods Academy. In 1977, the school moved to its current location at the intersection of Burdette and Greentree Road in Bethesda. Today, The Woods is a renowned Montessori preschool and high school preparatory school educating boys and girls from Age 3 through Grade 8.
of our 8th graders are accepted to first choice HS
of our faculty hold an advanced degree
of Woods graduates take multiple honors and/ or AP courses throughout HS
average number of years a faculty member has taught at The Woods
of students are Catholic
of Grade 7 & 8 students perform in the Spring Musical each year
of Upper School students participate in at least one sport
students of color
ENROLLMENT - 310
STUDENT/ FACULTY RATIO - 7 TO 1
AVERAGE CLASS SIZE - 15
- Six-acre, park-like campus
- Large playing fields for soccer, lacrosse, and baseball
- Large state-of-the-art classrooms
- Regulation size gymnasium
- Fully outfitted stage
Uniforms are required in Grades 1 through 8. The Woods believes that neat, attractive uniform attire supports a good learning environment and stimulates pride in school and self.
MONTESSORI PRESCHOOL - AGES 3 TO 6 (Includes Kindergarten)
LOWER SCHOOL - GRADES 1 TO 4
UPPER SCHOOL - GRADES 5 TO 8
HALLMARKS OF OUR PROGRAM
- Daily World Language - From preschool through Grade 8, our students learn French or Spanish, developing a love for languages that they carry to high school and beyond.
- Montessori Preschool - The Woods Montessori program meets the needs and interests of three to six year olds. Learning is intrinsically motivating and joyful in the multi-age classroom and prepared environment.
- The Arts - Our talented, creative arts faculty cultivates our students’ artistic gifts, engaging their minds, bodies, and spirits through art education that includes music, visual arts, and performing arts.
- Faith Life & Community Service - As a Catholic school, the faith development and character education of our children is devoted to enriching students’ lives and preparing them to lead lives of significance. Lessons on faith and values anchor everyday life.
- Athletics - Our athletics program is a critical part of our children’s education. It provides building blocks in their development while giving them an appreciation for health and fitness as well as habits that will last a lifetime.
- Technology - Our students’ foundation in technology includes understanding how it works and how to use it to change lives. Our technology supports innovative learning at all ages—from interactive whiteboard projectors in all classrooms, to iPad learning stations in Montessori, and one-to-one student devices in Grades 1 through 8.