High School Placement
About the High School Admissions Process
At The Woods, we pride ourselves in knowing each child individually. This principle is so relevant as we work with our Grade 8 students and their families on the high school placement process. The success we have seen with our students is a direct result of a personalized process, engaged families, and well-prepared students who succeed at the next levels.
The Woods is proud of its 100% overall acceptance rate to students’ first-choice schools. Each year, high school teachers and administrators share how Woods graduates succeed at their schools, participate in a variety of activities, and add to the communities they join.
The Head of School and the High School Placement Coordinator work together to help parents and students navigate the high school admissions process by:
- holding information nights during the spring of the Grade 7 year and fall of the Grade 8 year,
- conducting meetings with each set of parents to discuss choices,
- publishing a high school planner,
- disseminating information on high school fairs and open houses,
- hosting in-school visits from area high school admissions representatives,
- discussing each applicant with high school admissions directors,
- informing parents and students of programs available within each high school,
- maintaining a strong relationship with secondary schools and an awareness of the programs they offer,
- sponsoring a practice High School Placement Test (HSPT) in the fall of the Grade 7 year and administering the fall HSPT at the school,
- providing information on test preparation tutors and courses,
- offering standardized test practices in English and math classes,
- holding practice admissions interviews,
- helping each Grade 8 student prepare a middle school resume, and
- offering ongoing one-on-one support to students and parents during the high school admissions process.
The Woods prepares all students for the intellectual and social challenges at public, independent, and Catholic high schools. The Class of 2022 celebrates acceptances to 11 different high schools and was awarded over $200,000 in merit based scholarships.
The Class of 2022 will attend the following high schools:
- Connelly School of the Holy Child
- Georgetown Preparatory School
- Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School
- Gonzaga College High School
- Our Lady of Good Counsel
- St. Andrew's Episcopal School
- St. Anslem's Abbey School
- St. John's College High School
- The Academy of the Holy Cross
- The Potomac School
- The School Without Walls