The third graders go full circle regarding the topic of pond study that is the culminating unit of science for the school year. There is no loss of motivation, academic endeavor, or philanthropic purpose as we roll into June in third grade. We are excited until the very last day!
Our community is committed to serving others.
Our students believe that none of us are educated and cared for unless all of us are.
Components of our outreach include:
- Financial and spiritual support to our sister school -- Hotcourses Primary School in Nyumbani Village in Kitui, Kenya in Africa. This school serves children whose parents have died from the AIDS virus.
- Our Lower School students collect items for area charities most often tied into their "hosting" a Mass.
- Each Upper School grade partners with an area charity that it supports over a four-year period. These students raise money, hold clothing drives, and, most significantly, have direct contact with the clients these charities serve. Our adopted charities include Bethesda Cares, A Wider Circle, Saint Ann's Center for Children, Youth, and Families, and Catholic Charities.
- A student-led service and philanthropy club which raises money for various causes.
- School-wide "tag days" in which the student body pays for the privilege of "dressing down" for the benefit a charitable cause.
Recently, during National Volunteer Week, The Woods Academy collaborated with Comfort Cases, a charity founded to support kids in foster care. We chose Comfort Cases because we wanted to show our love for the foster kids who are often forgotten by our fast paced society. Comfort Cases helps support kids in the foster system by distributing backpacks filled with supplies we often take for granted.